Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Craaaaaack that Whip!

No, this is not about an ice skating maneuver, especially in Tanzania, where the only known snow is on Mount Kilimajaro and sometimes Mount Meru.

This is about cracking a real bullwhip!

Images of a lion tamer, Zorro, and of course, Indiana Jones come to mind.

I had an idea to get a bullwhip since the Maasai work with cattle and have to drive them at times.
They fashion their own whips (I am supposed to get one eventually -- promised) but I wanted to get one made by a professional.

I scoured the internet and found a man named Einar, who hand makes whips out of his home in Florida.  I sent him an introductory email, explained why I wanted a whip (mainly to attract the attention of the Maasai men to gather them for teaching), and inquired about placing an order for a whip.

He replied that my order had been received and "It is a pleasure to hear of your work in Tanzania I'm sure the Lord will bless your efforts... I would be more than happy to construct a whip as described in your e-mail for you at no cost. If it will be of assistance to you in leading someone to the Lord that is more than payment enough."

So, the whip was made, sent to my parents, and then taken to Tanzania.

We have had fun with it, have attracted men to our teaching time, and even use it to keep wayward volunteers in line {:-}.

Because of the attraction, people come to Christ and follow Him!

Who knew that a bullwhip could be used as a tool to bring people to Christ and disciple them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment